Friday, January 2, 2015

Let's get to know each other...

My name's Alex. I'm a twenty-two year old business student from a small little city on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Please try not to hold that against me.

I find myself in a unique situation. In a couple days, I'm going to board a plane that will take me thousands of miles from my home, family, friends, and loved ones. You might assume that such a decision was the result of careful planning, backed by solid reasons and necessity. Were you to assume such a thing, you would do me too much credit. I'm not a careful person.

Whim and wanderlust are my primary motivations for this study abroad program. As a student of marketing, it is my belief that businesses must tailor messages to the culture of their target audiences. It only follows that foreign culture must be experienced before it can be understood.

I hasten to explain, at this point, that I have never left the United States of America. I have barely left the state of Maryland for any extended period of time. Please, put yourself in my shoes. I hope you, dear reader, can feel the excitement, the nervous energy, and the fear that I am going through. I am afraid, very afraid, of the journey ahead.

That's why I'm inviting you along with me. I plan to blog on my experiences, observations, and lessons learned overseas.

Thank you for your attention. Check back in on Monday, when I (Lord willing) will be arriving in the great city of Hong Kong.

2 comments:

  1. Alex, Hope you are off to a good start-Mark Malone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post something soon. Hovering mothers need to know.

    ReplyDelete